An “in progress” proposal for the rules to be used when setting a Hash run or ride in Singapore:
The following document sets out a proposal for rules to be observed by all Hash chapters when setting either a run or a ride within Singapore. The document pays particular attention to runs or rides set within Singapore National Parks (NParks) managed areas but should be observed wherever a run or ride is set.
The final purpose of this document is to create a set of rules that are ratified by NParks and which must be observed by all Hash chapters in Singapore, thus preserving Hashing for the foreseeable future within this delightful island nation.
- Grand Masters or Grand Mistresses (GMs) shall be responsible for checking and approving the run or ride sites chosen by the Hares.
- Chapters are to ensure an always up-to-date version of these rules are posted on their respective Websites. Should a Chapter not have a Website, it must ensure the up-to-date rules are provided in some way to all of its Members.
- Chapters are responsible, through the GM for ensuring both experienced and rookie Hares are aware of and abide by the up-to-date rules.
- When marking trails, only toilet paper may be used in the Nature Reserves. The maps attached at the end of this document define the Nature Reserves. Chalk or Flour may NOT be used in the Nature Reserves. The exception is Pulau Ubin where toilet paper is NOT allowed and must be replaced by the use of sparingly used flour (though this must be checked with NParks before using this type of marking).
- Hares are accountable for their runs or rides and in the event a fine is imposed on the Chapter for breach of these rules, the Hares shall bear the cost of the fine. Such rule being subject to the individual Constitution of the Chapter which may define this issue differently.
- Always stick to the designated tracks (i.e. those clearly marked by Nparks) if you are setting runs in the Nature Reserves.
- When setting a trail, there can be absolutely no creating or cutting of a new path and strictly NO CHOPPING or cutting of plants or trees in the Nature Reserves.
- Defacing or writing anything on notice and sign boards of any kind is strictly prohibited.
- No chalk arrows are to be drawn on the roads or anywhere else in the Nature Reserves.
- Do not use flour under any circumstances as it may be mistaken for a similar looking potentially dangerous substance.
- Labrador Park, Sungei Buloh, Kent Ridge Park and Mount Faber are also managed by Nparks. These rules are also to be observed when setting runs or rides in them.
- Do not use any of the kiosks or sun/rain shelters within NParks managed areas unless you have sought and received prior permission and a permit from NParks.
- In the event a large run or ride is being organised, the Hares, through their respective GM must apply for a permit to use the facilities within the affected Nparks managed area. This applies to the run or ride itself and any On On or Circle event to be held after the run or ride.
- When setting runs in built-up areas, Hares must inform the security department of Condominiums or house owners or the HDB Board. Do not use flour in the vicinity of these or any other building. This will avoid the mistaken identity of the flour as Anthrax powder as has happened in the past.
Any breach of these rules will result in the affected Chapter being contacted by Nparks (or other Authority) with the possible result that the Chapter may be banned from setting runs within Nparks managed territory until the matter is resolved. Or worse, banned from operating as a Hash Chapter.
A warning will be issued and a fine imposed on the affected Chapter if the breach is considered material to these rules, which are the subject of interpretation solely by Nparks.
You have been warned!
Upper Seletar Reservoir Park
Old Upper Thomson Road/Upper Peirce Reservoir Park
Lower Peirce Reservoir Park
For Chestnut, Gangsa and ‘Butterfly Trail’ areas, use the route marked in yellow on the map as reference. Mandai track 15 is out of bounds to members of the public. Please use the Mandai PCN as an alternative route.
Managers in charge:
- Mr Tay Soon Lian
- Mr Ryuta Teo
- Mr Ramakrishnan
Zhenghua-Bukit Batok Nature Park
For Zhenghua Park use the route marked in yellow on the map as reference.
For Bukit Batok Nature Park, use the forest track and road/track marked on the map as reference for running/riding routes.
Managers in charge:
Please use the hiking trail designated on the Kampong trail map as reference for running/riding routes. Running activities are not allowed at the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve including the Bukit Timah mountain biking trail. Running at the Wallace trail is also not allowed due to safety reasons.
Managers in charge:
- Ms Cheryl Chia (Assistant Director)
- Ms Hadzlinda (Conservation Officer)
- Mr Koa Tian Leng (Conservation Officer)
MacRitchie Nature Trail
The following maps are for reference only
There are no NParks specially created trail maps currently available for Pulau Ubin, Mount Faber, Labrador Park, Sungei Buloh, Kent Ridge Park and Pasir Ris Park. This document will be updated should such maps become available.
Mount Faber Park
Labrador Nature Reserve
Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve
Pasir Ris Park